Nothing can ruin an enjoyable weekend of hiking and camping quicker than a torrential rainfall that manages to completely soak all of your belongings. More than one unfortunate hiking soul has had their backpack, clothes, and gear drenched.
If you’re going to be serious about hiking, then you need to invest in some serious gear. A high-quality waterproof backpack should be near the top of your list of items to acquire.
Wondering what backpack to go with? That’s what we are here for. Read on to find out our picks for five of the best waterproof backpacks for hiking in 2018.
Best Waterproof Backpacks Reviews
1. CVLIFE Outdoor Tactical 30L Backpack
The first entry on our waterproof backpack list is without a doubt one of the higher quality, durable hiking backpacks available to purchase. Featuring a 100% waterproof build constructed with 600D nylon material, this backpack is built to last while staying completely dry no matter the elements.
- Color: Black
- Constructed with waterproof 600D Nylon material, the backpack is wearable and durable.
- 1.5 Inch Waist Belt, 1 Inch Sternum Strap, padded and adjustable shoulder straps help relieve pressure on shoulders while carrying heavy loads.
- Two Spacious compartments with small pouches inside and two front pockets, the Rucksacks Tactical Backpack is ready to meet your needs.
The CVLIFE features padded, adjustable shoulder straps designed to offer maximum comfort, the backpack also comes equipped with a 1.5 inch waist belt and a 1 inch sternum strap. The back is also padded to provide you with even more comfort when you are out in the wilderness.
As with pretty much ever military rucksack style hiking backpack, the CVLIFE also features a superb MOLLE (MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) system.
The backpack features plenty of compartments and pockets to carry all of your equipment – there’s a main compartment, a secondary compartment, an upper front pocket, and a lower front pocket.
The 30L volume means that with a little bit of packing know-how, you can easily fit all of the items you’ll be needing for your outdoor excursions into the bag without having to carry around a bulky backpack all day long. It’s smaller size also makes it ideal for traveling, and it can even be brought on airplanes as a carry-on.
2. Loowoko 50L Hiking Backpack
Loowoko may be a relatively unknown name in the hiking backpack industry, but with quality backpacks like this 50L option, that certainly won’t be the case for very long. This hiking backpack is incredibly comfortable to wear and it’s an ideal option for a wide variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, and fishing.
- 8 ADJUSTABLE STRAPS- For tying up your pack or hanging sleeping bag, mat, hammock, tripod, and other gears. mesh side pockets,to keep your stuff separate and organized.
- It meet size requirements for most airlines, enough room for 3 or 4 days trips.
- Comfortable Daypack: Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. Widened and thickened S-type shoulder straps and high elastic breathable back support for best ventilation and easing burden
- 50L WATERPRROF BACKPACK:A rain cover included.The rip-stop polyester material can prevent the water from sipping into the bag;If the heavy rain comes, then rain cover works.
- WARRANTY: Includes 90 days limited warranty for hiking backpack.
If having a hiking backpack that offers plenty of customization in the form of adjustable straps is a priority for you, then this is the pack for you. Featuring eight adjustable straps, you will be able to quickly and easily keep all of your supplies separated and organized.
The shoulder straps are made with a breathable mesh material with added sponge padding to help ease the burden of carrying heavier loads. There is also a high elastic breathable back support that offers excellent ventilation to help keep you cool and dry while you are hiking.
This backpack also features an additional waterproof rain cover stashed away in the bottom pocket, which helps to keep all of your gear nice and dry. The backpack itself is made with a nylon material that prevents water from penetrating into the bag, while the rain cover is made from ripstop polyester material.
3. AMEISEYE 20L/30L/40L Hiking Backpack
Next up, we have a hiking backpack that is available in several different size and color options. All of these AMEISEYE hiking backpacks are made with a high-quality water-resistant nylon fabric, and with the exception of the green 30L option, they all include an additional waterproof rain cover as well.
- BREATHABLE STRAPS AND SUSPENDED NET FRAME BACK SYSTEM---Serves to support the pack and distribute the weight of its contents across the body more appropriately, by transferring much of the weight to the hips and legs. Padded and breathable mesh back panel and shoulder straps offer cushioned comfort, while also promoting air circulation along your back and shoulders
- HIGH QUALITY WATERPROOF NYLON FABRIC---Water-resistant 420D/210D rip-stop Nylon,can quickly slide water aside before water has a chance to penetrate it.Also a WATERPROOF rain cover stored in the bottom pocket, protect the whole pack from rain
- SMART STRINGS AND BUCKLES ADJUSTMENT DESIGN--- different adjustable sizes to fit your height,Softly pull the string,fasten and release backpack within one second. Sternum strap with emergency WHISTLE buckle, available to adjust up and down
- 40 LITER LARGE VOLUME OUTDOOR BACKPACK----40L volumes,very soft and light nylon fabric, reduce a lot of burden, make you trip more easy. Multi-functional daypack for outdoor activities, big main compartments can hold most of your daily staffs and a 15inch computer, front pocket with bag organizer,can hold your items in position double side pocket provide extra room for water bottles a bottom pocket for carrying your shoes
- TOOL ATTACHMENT POINTS----D-shape hooks, compression straps, bottom loops, soft latching loops, key rings and bottom straps for hanging tools, trekking pole, tents, sleeping bags, and other accessory
Beyond the obvious benefit of being able to choose between 20L, 30L, and 40L capacities, all of these hiking backpacks feature a high quality, durable design that makes them an ideal choice for hiking, camping, traveling, fishing, cycling, and other outdoor activities.
They feature breathable mesh straps that are fully adjustable and a suspended net frame back system that helps to support your back while also distributing the pack’s weight load more appropriately. The backpack is also equipped with multiple smart strings and adjustable buckles, including a sternum strap with an attached emergency whistle.
AMEISEYE hiking backpacks also feature multiple tool attachment points, including D-shape hooks, compression straps, key rings, and more.
The backpack also comes with a built in safe reflective strip, which helps to make you more visible in the night time.
4. 1XD GEAR 30L Lightweight Hiking Backpack
If you’re looking for an extremely straightforward hiking backpack that is absolutely perfect for single afternoon day trips, then you really can’t go wrong with this 30L lightweight pack made by 1XD GEAR.
While it doesn’t feature a lot of the extra bells and whistles that other backpacks on this list offer, if you’re only going to be out in the wilderness for a few hours at a time, they simply aren’t needed.
- HYDRATION SYSTEM COMPATIBLE: It offers water bottles access on both sides of the pack with water reservoir sleeves for easy hydration when running, cycling or hiking. Its big enough for a 3 liters' hydration bladder.
- HIGH CAPACITY TREKKING BACKPACK: The main compartments provide enough room (40 Liters) to carry what you need in the trip for a full day or a week journey. The exterior pockets are good for holding small accessories and for easy access.
- WELL ORGANIZED: Tons of pockets and storage for electronics and travel gadgets can be perfectly organized. The semi-rigid reinforcement makes the bag hold shape well, with positioning as it eases packing. The hip belt provides more carrying comfort while it also serves as a good storage for mobile phone and cameras.
- LIGHTWEIGHT YET STURDY: 3lbs won't add your burden in the long trip, the backpack is also made from high end material, exquisite stitching, tear resistant, reinforced zippers that's easy to unzip anytime!
- GREAT GIFT IDEA: Super functional gift for husband, sons, couples, outdoor endeavors, commuter, etc. Best partner for domestic and international travel!
This bag is made with a high quality water-resistant and tear-resistant nylon fabric that will keep all of your gear safe from rain, sweat, and scratches.
There’s also multiple compartments built into the bag, with a large main pocket, a fast pocket on top, an interior organized pocket to hold all of your smaller, essential items, and there’s even loops capable of holding trekking poles or an umbrella. There are also a couple of handy stretch pockets located on each side of the bag.
The backpack also features a durable internal steel frame that provides a lot of structural flexibility. Meanwhile, the soft mesh back is fully ventilated, allowing a great deal of air circulation to help reduce heat.
5. Gonex Tactical Military MOLLE 70L Backpack
The final waterproof hiking backpack that we recommend is the Gonex tactical military MOLLE 70L backpack. Gonex is well known in the outdoor hiking and camping industry, as they manufacture a large amount of extremely high quality products.
This backpack is honestly one of the better backpacks that we’ve had a chance to review, although the 70L volume may be too large for many hiking enthusiasts.
- PRODUCT PARAMETERS: Dimension 34 W x 80H x22 D cm, Capacity: 70 L, Weight: 2.5 kg
- WATERPROOF:Durable Water Resistant Anti-Scratch 900D Oxford,with Rain Cover in the bottom, which is attached with the backpack so that you can extract it when you need it.
- CR CARRYING SYSTEM: Weight decomposition system, could be adjustable for 3 sizes, high elasticity sponge with Airflow channels keep your back cool and dry
- MOLLE SYSTEM: MOLLE external expansion system designed to be used in combination with other equipment, you can load pockets, water bottle bag, accessory kits and other
- CONVENIENCE:The main bag is spacious with a laptop compartment and can be widely open for easy putting and easy getting. And there is one front zipped bag, two side net pockets and one bottom compartment for shoes or other belongings.
The backpack is made out of very high quality material, with a water-resistant anti-scratch 900D Oxford design. There’s also an included rain cover attached to the bottom, ready to be used whenever you need it. Beyond that, the bag is built for maximum stability and comfort.
It features contoured, adjustable padded shoulder straps and a thick mesh lumbar pad that provides your back with added comfort. The waist belt is also fully adjustable and is wide locking.
The bag also has a terrific MOLLE system with an additional CR carrying system. The weight decomposition system can be adjusted for up to three sizes.
If you’ve read through each of these hiking backpack reviews carefully, you may have noticed that the majority of these bags share something in common. Four out of the five backpacks that we’ve reviewed are not 100% waterproof – instead they are simply water-resistant.
While they are all high quality backpacks without question, only one of them is truly 100% waterproof and that is the CVLIFE outdoor tactical 30L backpack. If having a bag that is truly waterproof is essential to you, then this is the backpack to go with.
On the other hand, if you are completely fine with a high quality water-resistant hiking backpack, then our number one recommendation would be to go with one of the AMEISEYE hiking backpacks.
No matter which backpack you end up deciding on out of these five, you can rest assured that they are all incredibly well made bags that are more than capable of meeting your needs. We highly recommend all five of these bags if you’re looking for a waterproof (or water-resistant) hiking backpack in 2018.
Make sure to read our other reviews about "Best Hiking Backpack of 2018 – Complete Reviews with Comparisons", too.